Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Love Liverpool

What an amazing day!  Apart from a two hour restful train journey have not stopped all day.  Well sort of restful....seems I picked the only carriage that had no air conditioning....even the shop lady nearly had a fainting fit.  Can you believe that some of the trains had to reduce their speed yesterday in the  heat wave 'cause the overhead wires stretched so much in the heat and were in danger of touching the trains travelling underneath. I think that funny.

Liverpool is an amazing city.  I had no idea.  The city was packed with shoppers and it took me half an hour to trundle my suitcase and bags to the YHA ....a little bit further than I imagined. The Y here is very  modern and very comfortable.  I had no towel and was not going to pay 4GBPs for one so the lovely young lad at the desk snuck me one into my room....sweet.

I was intent on doing a Red Bus Tour but was disappointed to find I had left it too late.  However, all was not lost when I discovered the Yellow Duck Marine (Yes I know ...we even sang the song!).  It was an aquatic bus (surprise, surprise) and we plunged into Albert Dock at the speed of knots......hilarious.  Not what I was expecting to happen today.  The whole of the dock area on the Mersey has been revamped (not unlike Darling Harbour and Pier One in Sydney)  but here with huge old warehouse buildings dating back to the days when cotton was king.

I missed taking a photo of the Cavern Club on the Duck so I was determined to go back and have a proper look.  So glad I did.  I ventured inside and down all the stairs.  It is actually like a huge cellar under the ground.  Fabulous atmosphere and packed out.  I felt quite at home with all the other camera clicking crowd.

I ordered a Savion Blank 'cause the bar man didn't have any Shardonie and revelled in listening to a Look alike Beatles twosome belting out She Loves You Yeah Yeah Yeah and Money Cant Buy You Love.  Could have stayed there for hours but had to get back to the Y for Chicken Korma.

So had a great day and ready now I think to take my LOL (lovely old lady) under my wing.  I heard she is very anxious about me coming.  Changeovers are always stressful for carer and client alike.  Tomorrow is a new day and another beginning.  Life is one long adventure.  So glad the fog has lifted and the sun is still shining.






No comments:

Post a Comment